Search This Blog

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Beans and Greens

It's Saturday afternoon and my weekend cooking spree is in progress. 
I'm making the recipe from Wednesday night's class, some  cranberry orange scones (because fresh cranberries are now at the grocery store for $1.99 a bag) and if  the oven is going to be on  I'll throw in a batch of blondies or brownies. 
I've been stewing with the idea of a brownie cook-off. I have one fail-proof go-to brownie recipe that I've used for years in different ovens, different countries and a variety of small changes in ingredients but I continue to "collect" brownie recipes and stash them in my hard drive brownie folder. Before I commit to a huge purge I think I should cook a few of them and see how they compare. 

Here's the Beans and Greens recipe

1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno seeded and minced
1/2 lb ground chicken or turkey sausage
4 C cooked pinto beans (or canned beans drained and rinsed) 
1 bunch collard or turnip greens or kale, stemmed and roughly chopped
1 14oz can of diced tomatoes
1 1/2 Cups chicken broth
1 Tbs olive oil
5 sprigs fresh cilantro, chopped

heat the oil in medium size stock pot. Saute the onion 3 minutes. Add the garlic and jalapeno and saute until soft, another 5 minutes. 
Add sausage and cook until lightly browned. 
Add broth, beans, tomatoes and greens to the pan. Cook at a gentle simmer about 15 minutes until the flavors meld. 
Remove from heat and add Cilantro. 

I made mine vegetarian and shared  with the neighbors. Cooked some cornbread to go along side and added chopped fresh Serrano peppers to that. I think a can of spicy  rotel would be nice in this recipe. 

 De-stem the greens, roll the leaves and chop. It looks like a lot of greens but they cook down quickly





tricks with beans
Soak them first, it will cut down on cooking time
do not add salt or other spices while cooking
bring to a boil then drain and rinse, add fresh water and bring back to a boil to cook until done.

Speaking of beans and greens I have some lovely little green beans growing on my patio! 

No comments:

Post a Comment