Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

2-21 Word and a recipe

Happy Mardi Gras!
I just came across a  word I like
Crapetarian (noun). A Vegetarian who eats crap (e.g. Doritos, donuts, snickers).
Lately I've been a Flexetarian; a bit less strict about my vegetarianism and more flexible towards quality food that comes my way. (ethical meat, local sourced products)
oh wow, here's another: Quasitarian.
I love food and  a girls gotta eat 3x a day so I have lots of opportunities to experiment. 
I read cookbooks like they are novels. I roam the www in search of new ideas and inspiration. I'll try something new and eat it 4 days in a row. (this week was dino kale)


Sauteed KALE
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced (I use my rasp to get it super fine)
1 bunch of kale
A good quality salt (I’ve been using a large grain sel gris from France)
A few dashes of balsamic vinegar
DIRECTIONS:
Tear the kale into large bite size pieces, (strip it  down the length of the stem and discard the stem)
Submerge it in a large bowl of cold water (just like cleaning spinach) rinse and repeat. You do not want a bite with dirt/grit, that ruins the whole thing
Remove from water and pat dry with towel.
 In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil over low/medium heat.  Add the garlic and cook for about a minute.  Stir in the kale. Add a dash or two of salt.  Sauté for a few minutes. It will not get as soft or tender as spinach but it will start to “wilt”  Add the balsamic and remove from heat..  Stir it a bit and serve.. 
 There are different types of Kale…I'm hooked on  this first one, it is called Dino Kale.
I buy it at Whole Foods in the organic section and it is  pre-washed so I don’t have to double wash for grit either.

photo one is Dino Kale and the second is curly kale (easier to find)


2 comments:

  1. I wanted to add another word to your dictionary: lazytarian (noun) - An omnivore who prefers veggies but will eat meat if it's too hard to find a better vegetarian dish. I had a friend who just said he was too lazy to cook meat at home, but always had steak when he went to a restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh I love that word! I can use that for those mealtimes that I stand at the refrigerator with a spoon in my hand and take bites of all the leftovers without heating anything or sitting down to the table.

    ReplyDelete