Search This Blog

Saturday, February 25, 2012

2-24 Cleaning green

I like to purchase cleaning products that lean towards the natural. I've been using  Meyers hand and dish-soap, Ecover in the laundry and Simple Green on everything from the car dash to the counter tops.  The big downside to these products is the cost. I recently rediscovered a book I had  for making your own household cleaning products and decided to give it a whirl. 
First I chose a simple laundry detergent. A cup of this and a cup of that and a dash of scent, I thought I may as well make a double batch. Word to the wise, just like cooking from a new recipe maybe you should do it to the letter the first time before you experiment. I ended up with about 12 cups of goop. Smells nice, works great, texture needs some refining so I'll work on that  the next batch.
I've never been a fan of fabric softeners (too much smell on the clothes and in the house and did you ever take a walk in your neighborhood and smell everyone drying their laundry? total  air pollution). I am now using white vinegar in the fabric softener cycle. No smell, no residue and no static cling. 
 
I've also made a soft-scrub cleanser for the bathroom tiles, an antibacterial counter spray and some gel-in-a-jar air fresheners. 
These  changes feel good and cost pennies. I like knowing that my home environment is less toxic and I can name the ingredients to the products I am using. 
**note, you can find a plethora of great simple recipes online and the ingredients are easily found in your average grocery store with maybe a side trip to a natural grocer for the essential oils, or you can purchase it all online an have it show up at your doorstep**

No comments:

Post a Comment