Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

8-30 What's it gonna cost?

This is lifted from another blog where the guys says a few Accountants  sit in the back office and make this stuff up.....  
“First chemo? Ooh! Tell him $50 grand. No – how about just under? Yeah, like, $48-something. Yeah, that’ll be great! Oh, I wish I could see his face when he gets the bill! Man, is he going to need a drink. Tell me what he says, ok?”
 My chemo clocks in at $9401.00 per serving and since I had already looked up some of the prices I was not totally shocked. Still as the bills pile up and I see what gets paid, what doesn't and how much is negotiated down from the charge to what is actually paid to the Dr's I am continually surprised and dismayed by the whole system. I'm sitting on 20k in denied claims (that does not count the 5k I have already paid in deductibles). I'm taking deep breath's and letting it go. 
Most of the Dr's offices help me file and re-file the claims.  Today I got a letter from the lab that did the DNA test ($3340.00 rejected by insurance). It says:  "Our goal is to help you receive the insurance plan benefits to which you are entitled. We believe that your insurance plan did not process your claim properly and the claim can be appealed" etc etc...Love it!
So I'm not complaining, I'm taking a step back and  waiting patiently to see how it all works out. 





1 comment:

  1. Ouch! I thought my bills were high. Good reality check and yes appeal those letters and set up payment plans if need be.... one good thing is that you can write it off as medical expenses next year on your taxes!

    ReplyDelete