Search This Blog

Thursday, December 15, 2011

12-15 Change in the schedule

Radiation starts today. Scheduling is a nightmare. (Sadly) the Oncology center is booked solid. I was holding out for an early morning or late afternoon time slot so I could stop in coming or going from work. 4:45 opened up next  Monday but because it is a short week they requested I start tomorrow. Doesn't make sense to me but they know what they are doing. 
The sooner I start the sooner I finish. A few extra days off around the holidays but otherwise I am down for 6 1/2 weeks of treatment. Monday through Friday. 
The center is about 4 miles from home and 8 miles from work.


Now for all the zingers that come with the treatment. 
Zinger #1.  To bra or not to bra. 
They ask you to not wear a bra for 8-10 weeks. They told me to go buy a few cotton camisoles to wear in place of a bra. I pictured 10 weeks of the  Uniboob, you know when your boobs get smooshed together in a non lift-and-seperate sports bra?  When I asked again to be specific the nurse told me I could not get the camisole that has the little shelf bra included. Now I'm picturing something worse than the uniboob. How do you keep things together with just a loose camisole? What can I possibly wear to cover that? 
It is winter but that doesn't mean much in Texas and I don't really have many loose blob-like tops.  I feel better when I look good. I do not want to schlep around all blob-boob for 8-10 weeks. 
This weekend I will be bra shopping, looking for a compromise. The nurse conceded that these days while women work and go through treatment we need better choices and I am allowed to wear some kind of soft, loose,  all cotton bra-thing for work as long as I take it off the rest of the day. 
As soon as I won that point I started to wonder what will I wear to yoga? 


Photo today: making the most of my last day of lift-and-separate.

No comments:

Post a Comment