Search This Blog

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Prep for Radiation

Before beginning any sessions I had  an appointment to make my body mold and get xrays in an MRI machine.  I also met with the Radiation Oncologist and his nurse. They outlined the treatment plan (33 sessions M-F), the care of the area and the side effects. 


Making the mold. They took me to the MRI machine and had me lay on a blue foam/air pad that goes from just below my shoulder blades on the back to above my head. I was asked to turn my head to the side, away from the treatment area, and bring both arms above my head. Then they released a valve on the foam pad and it molded to the shape I was in. 
I was then loaded into the MRI machine and the took xrays and scans. This lasted about 10 minutes. 


Each time I go for a treatment I use the mold to keep me in position. They also x-ray to align me before each treatment. My arms go numb and the room is cold but otherwise I feel nothing during the treatment. 



the cost of the visit on my set -up day 
$510.00 for the office visit with the Dr. 
$4612.00 for the mold, x-rays and MRI


No comments:

Post a Comment