Search This Blog

Sunday, May 6, 2012

5-6 ChaChaChaChanges..

Rain glorious rain. Big huge overnight rain with all the fixins. Thunder that shook the house, lightning went off like popping  flash bulbs and it didn't just dump and run.   woke up to a nice overcast steady drizzle. Austin needed this. So the 7:30 AM hilly walk with my neighbor was cancelled and I am headed to a sweaty 9:00AM vinyasa downtown with one of my favorite teachers: Jenn Wooten. http://www.yogayoga.com/teachers/jenn
I tried to run  a few times in the past few weeks in the evenings and it just does not feel so great. I'm experiencing the most dreaded side effect of my new drug  Femara: joint pain. Sharp pains in the knees off and on all day. When I sit at work then stand up 20 minutes later I get a stab and dull ache. My ankles and toes crackle. My wrists and elbows are sore. It takes me a few minutes to think and stretch before I slowly crawl out of bed in the morning. I've talked to Dr. Pat's Nurse and I'm allowed to take as many Advil, Aleve, Ibuprofen and aspirin as I want so I started with a 200mg ibuprofen in the morning and another later in the day as needed. I'm keeping track of the results and I have the option to switch to one other medicine if the symptoms don't get better in a few months (or as Nurse Candy said...sometimes you just get used to it and stop thinking about it so much) I'm not sure I liked that response. Do I want to "get used to" having pains? I don't want to stop any of my physical activities, I was hoping to increase my stamina and strength in the next few months. I walk in the mornings with the girls at work. We do a quick 20 minute lap around the industrial park at work. I'm averaging 4 yoga classes a week but I'm still lacking some cardio and muscle building. 
I've started the hunt for a gym. May is the push off for another super hot summer in the city and one good reason to work out inside. I know that I am driven by group exercise so I'm looking for a gym with lots of classes. And of course I want it convenient to work and home. This month I am taking free classes at a new gym (their big push to get you hooked and signed up) http://cgarenagroupfitness.com/ 
I took the 6:00AM spin on Friday. My first spin since Belgium and it was great! High aerobic and low impact on the joints. I will go a few more times in the next weeks to see how busy they get at the time of day I would normally go. If this one does not work out there are 3-4 others in the area to try. 
My friend Amy is participating in a very Austin event this month. The Frost Bank Tower Climb fund raiser for Lung Cancer. http://action.lung.org/site/TR/Climb/ALAPG_PlainsGulfRegion?px=4878130&pg=personal&fr_id=5031
I saw her post a few weeks ago and wanted to immediately join the team. (but then realized there is no way I am ready for this kind of challenge so I added to her funds instead) Maybe next year? Would be a nice goal. What made me want to even think about it this year is it is only days away from my 1 year anniversary of diagnosis. 
Time to leave for yoga. I'll post pics later today and new post coming soon about hair. 
PS..Tuesday this week ended up being my last PT visit. I still have to do the work on my own. I highly recommend this place if anyone needs PT. They work with all types of injuries, post surgery and athletes. Elite PT 1515 West 38th St. Austin 512-302-5551



Lyrics: David Bowie "Changes" 
Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes
(Turn and face the strain)
Ch-ch-Changes
Don't want to be a richer man
Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes
(Turn and face the strain)
Ch-ch-Changes
Just gonna have to be a different man
Time may change me
But I can't trace time

No comments:

Post a Comment